My Waffle Iron

I had always wanted a waffle iron. At the age of six, I started asking for one, every Christmas and every birthday. I dreamed of making large, golden, square waffles that were slightly crispy on the outside and light on the inside. I got my first wok when I was six, my first ice cream machine a few years later, but sadly, no waffle iron.

I'm getting married later this year, and my fiancée and I have already registered in at least one place. Can you guess what the first item I picked was? That's right...a waffle iron. It turned out to be a premature choice though, because to my surprise, I got my first waffle iron for Christmas. My fiancée put in a good word for me with the rest of the family saying, "Paul really wants a waffle iron." I love it; I've already used it quite a lot since Christmas.

I followed the recipe printed in the manual on the inaugural run. The more times I used it, the bolder I got. I made substitutions and even added other ingredients like swapping milk for buttermilk or oil for butter. I altered the amount of flour and even tried using pasteurized egg white; I'll never do that again. Pasteurized egg whites just don't fluff up the way non-pasteurized egg whites do.

I hit pay dirt recently with my family. My latest experimental batter came out really well. So here it is, "Pauly's Long Awaited Waffle Iron Waffle Batter!"

Waffle Batter

Ingredients:

2 cups of all-purpose flour

4 egg yolks

4 egg whites

1 pinch of cream of tartar

1 cup of butter milk

1 cup of sugar

2 tsp. of vanilla extract

2 tsp. of baking powder

1 pinch of salt

2 Tblsp. of melted unsalted butter

First, add the cream of tartar to the egg whites. (Contrary to popular belief, cream of tartar does not produce greater volume, but it does assist in a more stable molecular structure). Whip the egg whites to a soft peak. You can tell your whites are done when you dip your beater into the white and it makes a peak that slumps quickly. Set the beaten egg whites aside.

Next, beat the yolks and sugar until the mix turns a pale-yellow or off-white. Add your buttermilk and vanilla and mix.

While stirring, gradually add the remaining dry ingredients, it helps if you mix the remaining dry ingredients separately first in a measuring cup. Make sure not to over mix it or you will excite the gluten in the flour and over-excited gluten makes for a very chewy waffle. Remember: Think golden, crisp on the outside and fluffy or light on the inside.

Get your whipped egg whites and add them to the rest of your mixture. Gently incorporate them and don't over mix, or you will lose the bubbles. While stirring, add the butter.

I have a Krups Wafflechef, it signals you when its heated and ready to go. Baking waffles in this iron only takes about 4 minutes. Don't go for a cheap, no-name iron, I highly recommend the Wafflechef. Pre-heat the waffle iron. Add about 2 oz. of batter on each square, making sure you don't put more than the iron can handle. If you do over-do it on the batter you will make a mess.

Waffles are great for breakfast or even for dessert. They are great topped with maple syrup or whipped cream and fruit; even ice cream makes a fantastic topping! Happy waffle making!



Post a Comment

0 Comments